The Old Rectory, Whalton, Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61 3UP
The Old Rectory is a particularly beautiful family home built around a fortified peel tower which dates back to medieval times and forms an important part of the history of the village. The Old Rectory is an incredibly beautiful example of a Grade II* listed property, set over two principal floors. The property is steeped in history and has all the fine period features one would expect in a property of this age, yet all the practical functionality of a family home. Built from traditional Northumbrian stone and arranged in an L-shaped footprint, The Old Rectory comprises of 3/4 reception rooms, up to 8 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, plenty of utility/larder space, and a stunning wine cellar with a vaulted ceiling. The attractive mature garden grounds consist of a south-facing lawned walled garden, kitchen garden and a flagged terrace. There are a generous number of outbuildings included within the large private boundary of the Old Rectory. These include a detached garage, stable block, stone outbuildings, greenhouse and summerhouse along with other outbuildings. Most of the accommodation within the Old Rectory enjoys exceptional views over the gardens and countryside beyond.
Entrance Hall, Reception Hall, Sitting Room, Drawing Room, Formal Dining Room,
Breakfasting Kitchen, Larder, Cloakroom, Wine Cellar, Utility Space, Integral Garage
7 x Bedrooms, 3 x Bathrooms, Dressing Room.
Garden and Grounds
South-Facing Lawned Walled Garden, Kitchen Garden, Flagged Terrace,
Garage Adjoining the House, Detached Open-Fronted Garage, Stable Block
With Three Loose Boxes & Tack Room, Feed Room, Hay Shed, Stone
Outbuildings, Greenhouse, Summerhouse, Potting Shed.
Morpeth 6 miles, Ponteland 8 miles, Newcastle City Centre 17 miles,
Newcastle Airport 10 miles, Berwick Upon Tweed 54 miles, Edinburgh City
Centre 94 miles, Carlisle City Centre 55 miles
(All distances are approximate)
Whalton is an exceptionally pretty, thriving rural conservation village, based around a village green. Sandstone buildings make up the older properties within the village, including Whalton Manor with its stunning gardens created by Gertrude Jekyll. The church of St Mary Magdalene is mainly 13th century with medieval church fittings still in place. Farming life and community life form an important part of the village and this can be seen in the Bale fire ceremony with the Whalton Kern Baby, local cricket club (in Belsay), gardening club and bustling village hall. The newly refurbished Beresford Arms is an excellent pub, eatery and event space with rooms to let. Whalton also has an excellent primary school.
The attractive town of Morpeth can be found just six miles to the east and offers a first-class range of shopping, leisure facilities, healthcare and schooling. There are excellent rail links to Newcastle, the North and the South. The village of Belsay, six miles south-west has an excellent village shop that stocks local produce, and Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens. The affluent town of Ponteland lies six miles to the South. It too offers a wide range of amenities, including shops, pubs and restaurants, a health centre and a Waitrose supermarket. Newcastle-upon-Tyne lies seventeen miles south and delivers everything you’d want from a busy vibrant city.
The Old Rectory is remarkably well positioned to access Edinburgh to the North or Newcastle to the South, and Newcastle International Airport is less than 10 miles away. It is worth noting there is no noise pollution from the Airport.
(Please download the application “what3words” for the exact location)
Ponteland Golf Club - https://www.thepontelandgolfclub.co.uk
Ponteland Leisure Centre - https://www.activenorthumberland.org.uk/Centres/Ponteland-Leisure-Centre.aspx
Dobbies Garden Centre - https://www.dobbies.com/ponteland
Ponteland Primary School - https://ponteland.academy
Ponteland High School - https://www.ponthigh.org.uk
Mowden Hall School - https://www.mowdenhallpst.org/
Longridge Towers School - https://lts.org.uk/
Events in Whalton - https://whaltonvillage.org.uk/
Belsay Hall, Castle and Gardens: https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/belsay-hall-castle-and-gardens/prices-and-opening-times
Beresford Arms, Whalton- https://www.theberesfordarmswhalton.co.uk/
Waitrose - https://www.waitrose.com/bf_home/bf/482.html
Hadrian’s Wall Walks - https://www.walkingenglishman.com/hadrianswall05.html
Newcastle Train Station - https://www.thetrainline.com/stations/newcastle
Northumberland Cricket - https://northumberlandccc.play-cricket.com/
Dark Skies, Northumberland - https://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/things-to-do/discover-dark-skies/
Kielder Forest and Water Park - http://www.visitkielder.com/
Amazing things to do with Kids: https://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/things-to-do/north-east/northumberland/belsay
Belsay Cricket Club: https://belsay.play-cricket.com/
Fixtures and Fittings
All fitted carpets, curtains poles/rails, blinds, light fittings and all integrated appliances form part of the sale.
Listing and Conservation
The Old Rectory and the surrounding External Walls are Grade II* Listed.
Oil-fired central heating.
Supplementary open fires.
Main’s electricity & water.
Drainage to a private septic tank.
Full fibre max gigabit broadband services are available.
Energy Efficiency Rating
0345 600 6400
Internet Web Site
This property and other properties offered by Paton & Co can be viewed on the following websites:
Proof and Source of Funds / Anti Money Laundering Under the HMRC Anti Money Laundering legislation, all offers to purchase a property on a cash basis or subject to mortgage require evidence of source of funds. This may include evidence of bank statements/funding source, mortgage or confirmation from a solicitor the purchaser has the funds to conclude the transaction. All individuals involved in the transaction are required to produce proof of identity and proof of address. This is acceptable either as original or certified documents.
1. The property is sold with all faults and defects, whether of condition or otherwise and neither the seller nor Paton & Co, the selling agent, are responsible for such faults and defects, nor for any statement contained in the particulars of the property prepared by the said agent.
2. The Purchaser(s) shall be deemed to acknowledge that he/she has not entered into contact in reliance on the said statements, that he/she has satisfied themself as to the content of each of the said statements by inspection or otherwise and that no warranty or representation has been made by the seller or the said agents in relation to or in connection with the property.
3. Any error, omission or mis-statement in any of the said statements shall not entitle the purchaser(s) to rescind or to be discharged from this contract, nor entitle either party to compensation or damages nor in any circumstances to give either party any cause for action.
Paton & Co, their clients and any joint agents give notice that:
1. They are not authorised to make or give any representations or warranties in relation to the property either in writing or by word of mouth. Any information given is entirely without responsibility on the part of the agents or the sellers. These particulars do not form part of any offer or contract and must not be relied upon as statements or representations of fact.
2. Any areas, measurements or distances are approximate. The text, photographs and plans are for guidance only and are not necessarily comprehensive and it should not be assumed that the property remains as photographed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale, or entitle any party to compensation or recourse to action at law. It should not be assumed that the property has all necessary planning, building regulation or other consents, including for its current use. Paton & Co have not tested any services, equipment, or facilities. Purchasers must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise and ought to seek their own professional advice.
3. All descriptions or references to condition are given in good faith only. Whilst every endeavour is made to ensure accuracy, please check with us on any points of especial importance to you, especially if intending to travel some distance. No responsibility can be accepted for expenses incurred in inspecting properties which have been sold or withdrawn.
4. The property is sold subject to and with the benefit of all servitude rights, burdens, reservations, and wayleaves including rights of access and rights of way, whether public or private, light, support, drainage, water and wayleaves for masts, pylons, stays, cable, drains and water, gas and other pipes whether contained in the title deeds or informally constituted and whether or not referred to above.
5. These particulars and plan are believed to be correct, but they are in no way guaranteed. Any error, omission or misstatement shall not annul the sale or entitle any party to compensation nor in any circumstances give grounds for action at law.
6. Paton & Co UK Ltd does not accept responsibility for any expenses incurred by prospective purchasers in inspecting properties which have been sold, let or withdrawn.
7. Photographs taken in June 2022. Particulars prepared in June 2022.